This DIY Valentine garland is one of our most popular posts ever! This sparkly garland makes a perfect Valentine gift or home decor.
Dust off your bow and arrow, because Cupid is coming to town, folks!
This Valentine garland is a fun, sparkly, budget-friendly Valentine’s Day DIY that you can create for your kids your friends, your love, or your gal pal.
Psst — if you’re looking for more Valentine’s Day ideas, I’ve got you covered right here:
- Free Printable Valentines (With Mini Figurines!)
- An Easy Valentine Craft with a Free Printable
- Baby Yoda Valentines that Everyone Will Love!
- Another Garland Idea for Adorable Valentine Decor
And be sure to sign up below for my VIP group, where I’ll send more of my very best ideas straight to ya.
A perfect Valentine Craft idea to Make Together
I love this Valentine craft idea so much, and not just because it’s one of our most popular posts ever!
It’s a perfect project to make together with your kids or your girlfriends. I made one with Maggie recently, and she had the most fun being in charge of the glitter.
I have to admit — I do almost no projects with glitter any more because it’s messy. But using it with kiddos is worth it for the joy that they get out of it.
And the result here is so sparkly and fun it makes it all worthwhile!
How to Gift, Hang, or Display Your Valentine Garland
Over the years I’ve made quite a few of these! I created the very first one over 10 years ago, and given many as gifts thereafter.
To give this Valentine garland as a gift, I love to just sneak it up somewhere and let the recipient come upon it by surprise. It looks particularly cute over a bathroom mirror or on the refrigerator.
You could also tuck it into an envelope and give the garland as a Valentine.
Materials for Creating Your VAlentine Garland
- white paper or cardstock
- white glue or ModPodge
- glitter (I like the chunky look for this project but you can also use fine)
- glue gun
- embroidery thread, yarn, or baker’s twine
- optional: Cricut Machine
A note about the materials list. When I initially started creating these, I didn’t have access to a Cricut machine and so I would print the letters onto paper and cut them out by hand. It’s totally doable! A cutting machine like the Cricut just speeds up the process.
How to Make a Sparkly Valentine GArland
- First, print out your Valentine message in all caps in a font of your choice (I used Arial Black, size 100 pt.). Cut out your letters. Alternatively, if you have a Cricut machine, you can create your letters in Cricut DesignSpace and make them as large as you like. Cut out your letters.
- Then, use a paintbrush to spread a generous amount of glue on the front of each letter, and sprinkle with glitter (and by sprinkle, I mean douse).
- For full, thick glitter coverage, I recommend repeating Step 2. Allow you letters to dry for a bit. Then just paint more glue over the original glitter layer and add more glitter again. Repeat if you need spot coverage.
- Next, organize your letters glitter upside down and backwards, and lay out the length of string that you’d like.
- Put a small dot of hot glue at the top of your first letter, and sink the string in. Repeat for each letter, ensuring that they’re all equidistant from each other.
- When you’ve finished, tie a little loop at each end of the string to hang (optional). Hang up your Valentine garland and admire!
You could use these a zillion ways! I picture them as a little Valentine greeting on the bathroom or hallway mirror, draped on the back of your honey’s favorite chair, or even strung on a hanger in the closet as a morning surprise. How would you use it? xoxo
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. This means that I receive a small commission should you make a purchase via one of these links, at no additional cost to you. Thank you as always for your support!
- white paper
- glue or ModPodge
- glue gun
- embroidery thread or baker's twine
- optional: Cricut machine