Remember the patio table DIY from a couple of weeks ago? I’ve been dying to get the rest of our little balcony patio finished up, and I think this was the last of the projects. We found some simple patio chairs at Target, but we wanted to change ’em up a little. Cue cushions!
Now I have never claimed to be an amazing seamstress. Actually, I claim to be a big ol’ hack of a seamstress. And I really, really don’t like taking DIY photos when I sew, so let’s just talk it out.
- Cut 1-inch foam to the size and shape of your chair seat (you can get foam cut at JoAnn!).
- Cut two pieces of fabric, 1/2 inch larger on all sides than your foam measurements.
- With right sides facing, sew pieces together with a straight stitch around edges, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Leave about four inches open.
- Roll foam and insert through the open section, arranging until it is flat. Hand-sew a hidden stitch to close.
- If you’d like to attach your cushion to your chair, measure the distance to the nearest cross-pole that you could attach to. Sew a strap of fabric in the appropriate length. Sew in velcro on either side, and hand-sew your straps onto the cushion. Use multiple stitches of upholstery thread for a firm hold.
Can’t wait to put these to good use, with lots of easy evenings out on the patio. Now who’s coming over to help me test them out?! xoxo
5 thoughts on “diy patio chair cushions”
That looks great! 🙂
Wow! That looks so nice!
those are adorable! what a good idea. where did you find the awesome fabric?
Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article.
I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful
info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.
also wondering about the fabric? 😉