I’ll be honest. This is one of those projects that if I had to do it over again, I would just… well, I wouldn’t. I would buy curtains. I love, love, love the way that they turned out, but let me tell you — getting this project done in my teeny tiny Manhattan apartment was a challenge, to say the least. But in the true spirit of DIY, I’m here to tell you all the dirty details of how we got it done. And so, without further ado, I present to you: DIY Painted Stripe Curtains.
I sewed curtain panels from simple muslin material, and decided how wide I wanted my stripes according to how tall the panels were (this will take a little math on your part). Then, I taped off the areas that I wanted striped. Keep in mind that when the tape is down, some stripes will look wider because you’ll have to allow for the width of the actual tape.
I laid the taped panels on a dropcloth (which was actually a dollar store plastic tablecloth) and started painting. The paint I used was a color that we had previously used on our walls, so it was straight-up Benjamin Moore. I mixed in a bit of fabric medium (found at Michael’s Crafts) so that the paint wouldn’t stiffen or crack when it dried. Lots of online tutorials say to use a roller for this part, but I found a paintbrush to be much more effective and just plain faster.
Okay, dudes. Now paint. Paint like your life depends on it. I had six panels, and I ended up having to split the painting over a couple of days because the project started taking (waaaay) longer than expected. Let the paint dry a bit and pull off your tape.
Phewph! We made it. I mean, they’re lovely. Really. I absolutely think they’re great. But I’m not saying there wasn’t a point in the project where Mr. Lovely had to literally come and hold my face in his hands and be like, “Dude. We’re gonna make it.” Curtains! xoxo