I’ve had some plain flour sack towels sitting in my supply closet for literally years, just waiting and waiting and waiting for me to figure out something cool to do with them. I had this idea that I wanted to make some towels with words on them somehow, but I just couldn’t quite figure it out. Embroidery? Too hard. Stencil and paint? Didn’t really feel like it. So when I teamed up with Epson to try out their iron-on label maker, I knew exactly how I wanted to use that bad boy.
I love these things. Probably entirely too much. I love how the sharp typography contrasts with the dreamy dip dye, and I love that you can make ’em say whatever you want! I plan to make a million of ’em saying different things and use them as hostess gifts. But before that, let me tell you how to make your very own.
- Epson Iron-On Label Kit
- plain flour sack towels
- liquid fabric dye
- washing machine
- rubber gloves
Make Time: 1 Hour (Plus Drying Time)
1. Decide on the phrases you’d like to use. I think it could be so fun to make these as a gift and use the recipient’s go-to catch phrases! Like, if I made some for Ryan they’d just all say “Nailed It.”
2. Type your phrases into the Epson label maker. Decide on your font and style (I love that you can change it up!), and hit print. Print all four phrases. Set aside.
3. Prepare a dye bath for your towels. In a bowl, combine about 1/3 of the bottle of dye with 2-3 cups of very hot water. (I adjusted the measurements a bit to get a more saturated color in a shorter amount of time!)
4. Fold your towel in quarters. Wearing rubber gloves (if you don’t want pink or blue fingers), dip about two thirds of the towel into the dye, starting with the unfolded ends. To create a slight ombre effect, leave just the ends in the dye the longest — we left these in for about five minutes.
5. Repeat the process for each color of towel (or do them all the same color!). Rinse all the excess dye from the towels and give them a quick run through the washing machine on cold. Dry and iron each towel.
6. Trim the ends of your iron on labels. Arrange them to your liking on your towel.
7. Carefully press down directly on the labels once they’re in place. Press firmly for about 10 seconds to adhere them to the towel.
Take these gorgeous things out at your next party and have a ball! Better yet, make a bunch of them for your guests to take home as party favors. Aren’t they so fun?! And now: go treat yo’ self. xoxo
This post is sponsored by Epson. All opinions are my very own. Thank you for being supportive of the sponsors who help keep Lovely Indeed rocking!