Happy Valentine’s Day, lovahs! Are you guys into it? Are you, like, running around town throwing hearts at strangers and skipping and singing love songs? Or are you wearing black today in defiance against the greeting card companies for inventing a holiday? I’m always a little trepidatious on Valentine’s Day because I come across so many people who really dislike it. It kind of boggles my mind because I don’t take a staunch position against any holiday; I’ll celebrate just about anything. (And I especially love celebrating love.) But I do get it. Valentine’s Day is kind of a made-up holiday, and if you find yourself without a Valentine it can be a bummer. Although I did do a little research and found out that the holiday is said to have originally honored Saint Valentinus, who was tossed into prison when he performed marriage ceremonies for young soldiers to their lady loves, which was against the law. So there’s something, I guess.
Yadda yadda, let’s get this post back on track! I decided that because we may have two camps on the whole Valentine’s Day issue, I’m splitting up today’s Ten Things. So now, without further ado, here we go.
Valentine’s Day Thumbs Downs
1. The restaurants that are booked months in advance.
2. Those icky teddy bears that you buy at the drug store when you forget a present for someone.
3. When people pronounce it “Valentime’s Day.”
4. Chocolate everywhere, which would be fine if I wanted to gain 10 pounds.
5. The really ugly jewelry that men think they have to buy from “fine” jewelry stores because of those awful commercials.
Valentine’s Day Thumbs Ups
6. Little kids writing Valentines to their classmates.
7. A reminder to communicate love to the people most important to you.
8. Cupid and that whole deal. A tiny chubby angel baby making people fall in love? Adorable.
9. Seeing couples out celebrating who are clearly enjoying being together.
10. Any excuse to get fresh flowers.
I would love to know where you stand on this whole V-Day thing! Leave a comment with your favorite or least favorite thing about Valentine’s Day, and have a great weekend! xoxo