30 by 30

I’m going to be 30 in February, and I think that’s awesome…  And a little insane.  And there are some things that I’d like to do before it actually happens.  Here they are.  I’ll be checking them off the list and posting as I complete them — here goes nothing!

1.  Do one unassisted pull-up.

2.  Find a new apartment. {Completed 10/30/10.}

3.  See New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, and Delaware.

4.  Write another song for my niece, and record all of the songs that I’ve sung for her. {Completed 11/24/10.}

5.  Ride the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island. {Completed 10/3/10.}

6.  Learn how to rag knit.

7.  Take an impromptu trip to a place I’ve never been. {Completed 1/30/11.}

8.  Do a YouTube ukulele collaboration video with Ryan.

9.  Complete 30 hours of concentrated piano practice. {Completed 6.5 hours as of 12/4/10.}

10.  Complete 30 hours of concentrated vocal practice. {Completed as of 1/22/11.}

11.  Re-read James and the Giant Peach. {Completed 9/22/10.}

12.  Fix the buttons that have popped off of my couch. {Completed 11/2/10.}

13.  Find and buy something fabulous from a thrift shop in the East Village.

14.  See every Broadway show that opens between now and my birthday. {Completed shows that had opened before I left town for tour.  1/10/11.}

15.  Make my own sangria recipe. {Completed 12/25/10.}

16.  Make a stop-motion video. {Completed 10/15/10.}

17.  Do a successful handstand. {Completed 2/22/11.}

18.  Embroider something. {Completed 12/9/10.}

19.  Be consistent with a food journal.

20.  Go to at least one choral concert. {Completed 10/15/10.}

21.  DIY this shower curtain. {Completed 12/1/10.}

22.  Reorganize our bookshelves. {Completed 11/11/10.}

23.  Delete MySpace. {Completed 9/21/10.}

24.  Watch a sunrise. {Completed 10/17/10.}

25.  Bake these cupcakes. {Completed 10/13/10.}

26.  Go up to the crown on the Statue of Liberty.

27.  Eat at ABC Kitchen. {Completed 1/9/11.}

28.  Watch the final episodes of Pushing Daisies. {Completed 10/25/10.}

29.  Learn one dramatic and one comedic monologue. {Completed 2/15/11.}

30.  Leaving this one up to YOU — whaddaya think number 30 should be?  Leave a comment and let me know! (Update: Calling this one good – I booked a year-long national tour, which sounds like an excellent #30 to me.)  {Completed 11/1/10.}

xoxo


40 comments

  1. Patrick C on said:

    Learn an Irish drinking song and sing it at a pub on St Patrick’s Day. Its a goal of mine. Duet??

  2. Patrick C on said:

    Learn an Irish drinking song and sing it at a pub on St Patrick’s Day. Its a goal of mine. Duet??

  3. E.M.Costa on said:

    I don’t know, but I love the one about the songs for your niece. :)

  4. E.M.Costa on said:

    I don’t know, but I love the one about the songs for your niece. :)

  5. shellyb on said:

    i have lists like this. i’ve made them since i was 18 for all the big years. 18, 20, 25, 29, 30, 35…
    the last one i did to celebrate 30 was “disappear for an undisclosed amount of time, and never tell anyone where i went or what i did.” (obviously- you could take ryan with you ;) this time has continued to keep me energized about life and continued to keep a smile on my face EVERY TIME i think about it. a total and complete secret. no one knows but me and those i met during that time- but even they dont know what they’re part of :)

    i love you merms. 30. gheez… and yet- im not a day older! ;)

  6. shellyb on said:

    i have lists like this. i’ve made them since i was 18 for all the big years. 18, 20, 25, 29, 30, 35…
    the last one i did to celebrate 30 was “disappear for an undisclosed amount of time, and never tell anyone where i went or what i did.” (obviously- you could take ryan with you ;) this time has continued to keep me energized about life and continued to keep a smile on my face EVERY TIME i think about it. a total and complete secret. no one knows but me and those i met during that time- but even they dont know what they’re part of :)

    i love you merms. 30. gheez… and yet- im not a day older! ;)

  7. Try this, Peter & I did it 2 days after we were married in Paris and it’s one of my most special memories. First be in Paris. Go to a cafe’ for lunch on a weekday without any other plans for the day, sit side by side as they do in Europe, order some good food & wine, relax into your surroundings and enjoy! Now Here It Is! Except to go to the toilet do not move from this table until after you’ve eaten dinner!!! Spend the day with your greatest love- quietly in a cafe’ as the “day to day” of paris washes by….. I promise you this will be a special day filled with love!!!

  8. Try this, Peter & I did it 2 days after we were married in Paris and it’s one of my most special memories. First be in Paris. Go to a cafe’ for lunch on a weekday without any other plans for the day, sit side by side as they do in Europe, order some good food & wine, relax into your surroundings and enjoy! Now Here It Is! Except to go to the toilet do not move from this table until after you’ve eaten dinner!!! Spend the day with your greatest love- quietly in a cafe’ as the “day to day” of paris washes by….. I promise you this will be a special day filled with love!!!

  9. AmyG on said:

    Learn to longboard.

  10. AmyG on said:

    Learn to longboard.

  11. angela on said:

    I say have a coctail party with your favorite folks in costume … or start playing tennis!

    If you need help with #10 or # 20 give me a call. :-)

    love you… and you look 23. :-)

  12. angela on said:

    I say have a coctail party with your favorite folks in costume … or start playing tennis!

    If you need help with #10 or # 20 give me a call. :-)

    love you… and you look 23. :-)

  13. Auntie Ellie on said:

    Complete the 40×40 list! The Chinese, I understand, have 100-year business plans. We should at least have a plan for our next 10.

  14. Auntie Ellie on said:

    Complete the 40×40 list! The Chinese, I understand, have 100-year business plans. We should at least have a plan for our next 10.

  15. Jani on said:

    I’m in NY in Oct. Maybe we can do #26 together! My #30 4 u (or me) would b 2 move back to Modesto. Paige misses her auntie and so do I. Ok, a girl can dream. . . and I’m gonna keep dreaming’ :-)

  16. Jani on said:

    I’m in NY in Oct. Maybe we can do #26 together! My #30 4 u (or me) would b 2 move back to Modesto. Paige misses her auntie and so do I. Ok, a girl can dream. . . and I’m gonna keep dreaming’ :-)

  17. Sarah Sugarbaker on said:

    I bet you have already thought of number thirty in your head! But come to California and we can make those awesome cupcakes together. That looks like fun.

  18. Sarah Sugarbaker on said:

    I bet you have already thought of number thirty in your head! But come to California and we can make those awesome cupcakes together. That looks like fun.

  19. amanda on said:

    Happy Birthday!!!

    I love your list! (I make these bucket lists all the time…scratching items off is so fun).
    I know you want to get these things done in the near future, but the number one thing on my list, is to have my boy kiss me in 3 specific places:

    1~Underneath the Eiffel Tower
    2~On the Spanish Steps in Italy-Doing this on our Honeymoon next June!
    3~Central Park-We did this in 2007, but I see you get to do this whenever you pretty well please! (you lucky duck)

    It’s a fun way to share your list with your man :) Good luck with your list, and I hope you have a Happy Day!

    ~amanda~
    xoxox

  20. amanda on said:

    Happy Birthday!!!

    I love your list! (I make these bucket lists all the time…scratching items off is so fun).
    I know you want to get these things done in the near future, but the number one thing on my list, is to have my boy kiss me in 3 specific places:

    1~Underneath the Eiffel Tower
    2~On the Spanish Steps in Italy-Doing this on our Honeymoon next June!
    3~Central Park-We did this in 2007, but I see you get to do this whenever you pretty well please! (you lucky duck)

    It’s a fun way to share your list with your man :) Good luck with your list, and I hope you have a Happy Day!

    ~amanda~
    xoxox

  21. Nicholas D. Baker on said:

    I think you should do #25 at my house! I’ll make you a deal, if you do #25 at my house, then I’ll train you to do #1.

  22. Nicholas D. Baker on said:

    I think you should do #25 at my house! I’ll make you a deal, if you do #25 at my house, then I’ll train you to do #1.

  23. Laura on said:

    Ideas:
    1) Make a timeline for yo’ momma — some token for each of the 30 years you have been here and have known her…pictures from memorable mother/daughter moments; your baby footprints; a kindergarten art project; your first report card…
    2) Start a small orders only (3 dozen or less) cupcake business.
    3) Dust off the N64 and invite me over for Mario Cart (or maybe, I’ll find one online & bring it…)
    4) Join one of the dozens of “sit-in” church choirs in Manhattan — http://www.van.org/choirdirectory.htm
    5) Take an improv class from my guru of a boyfriend.
    6) Have a photoshoot in the Cloisters.
    7) Get together some friends to do a set of Chelsea Costa originals with ukelele at an adorable Brooklyn joint.

  24. Laura on said:

    Ideas:
    1) Make a timeline for yo’ momma — some token for each of the 30 years you have been here and have known her…pictures from memorable mother/daughter moments; your baby footprints; a kindergarten art project; your first report card…
    2) Start a small orders only (3 dozen or less) cupcake business.
    3) Dust off the N64 and invite me over for Mario Cart (or maybe, I’ll find one online & bring it…)
    4) Join one of the dozens of “sit-in” church choirs in Manhattan — http://www.van.org/choirdirectory.htm
    5) Take an improv class from my guru of a boyfriend.
    6) Have a photoshoot in the Cloisters.
    7) Get together some friends to do a set of Chelsea Costa originals with ukelele at an adorable Brooklyn joint.

  25. Peter Marinos on said:

    OK John’s “cafe day” truly was a wonderful and lovely day/memory … but since you may not be in Paris before your Birthday, I have another idea.
    Have a tickle festival. Yea, I just made that up, but think about it,
    what tickles you? Feathers? Having your sides prodded? Your toes stroked? What ever it is, insist on Ryan’s obedience in assisting you and go at it. Laugh till you cry … then do it again.
    Tickle festival.

  26. Peter Marinos on said:

    OK John’s “cafe day” truly was a wonderful and lovely day/memory … but since you may not be in Paris before your Birthday, I have another idea.
    Have a tickle festival. Yea, I just made that up, but think about it,
    what tickles you? Feathers? Having your sides prodded? Your toes stroked? What ever it is, insist on Ryan’s obedience in assisting you and go at it. Laugh till you cry … then do it again.
    Tickle festival.

  27. Read through the entire book of Ecclesiastes. It is only 12 chapters but wha wonderful ideas for starting a marriage. Better idea read it together.

  28. Read through the entire book of Ecclesiastes. It is only 12 chapters but wha wonderful ideas for starting a marriage. Better idea read it together.

  29. Olive Machado August on said:

    Chelsea – I love your pictures. You are a beautiful cousin. You are also a busy girl. I love your list. You have accomplished a lot of your 30×30 list. You have some of the neatest ideas. You are quite creative. How did the Christmas jar work for grandma. How is she doing. Just drop me an email when you get a free moment. I would love to hear from you. God Bless you. Love your cousin, Olive Machado August.

Leave a Reply

Don't worry, we won't publish your email address.